Saturday, March 17, 2012

Philippians 2: Consider Others Better Than Yourself

"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves."    Philippians 2:3
(Credit also to A.W. Tozer for the passage for March 17th in Renewed Day by Day).
That which is in other human beings because they are God's creatures is worth far more than anything that is in me apart from Him.  I think this is what verses like this mean.  I must esteem Imago Deo in the lowliest person far higher than anything that is purely from myself.  This leaves no room for pride or contempt.  I must also esteem Imago Deo in me as the pure center of my worth.  This leaves no room for conceit, and neither for pride, self-pity, or "low self-esteem."  If I esteem God as the highest Good, all else falls into place, and these things (pride, self-pity, conceit, contempt, etc.) must fall away.  Cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment