Monday, February 27, 2012

Mark 9: Help My Unbelief

"Jesus said to him, 'If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes.'
Immediately the father of the child cried out and said with tears, 'Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!'"  Mark 9:23-24
Many times I have prayed this and thought of it as faithful evidence of our dependence on God's grace, that we need it even to believe on Him.  And we need it to believe He can do what we call impossible.  This is a matter of heart attitude.  How do I, then, walk in such faith that I could truthfully say, "Lord, I believe; help my unbelief"?  The words were recorded here for a reason and they have long stuck with me.  How do I do this?  It seems to include a sort of letting go.  Or really a willingness to let go, a heartfelt desire to hold fast to faith with no confidence in the flesh.
All my good is in You.  Apart from You I have nothing of worth; I count it all dung.  But I am still here, so I need Your help to see that.  I need Your Word to light my way.  I need Your hand to guide me.  I need Your voice to lead.  I need Your Spirit working in me, even in the midst of my humanity to unstop my ears and unblind my eyes.  I need the light of Your Truth to walk in your ways.  I need You to help me be faithful to You.  And I believe that this You can certainly do: change my heart, refresh my mind, make me new, and call me wholly Yours.  But You have and can and will do this and more than this.  "You will see greater things than these" (John 1:50).  Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!

No comments:

Post a Comment