Friday, January 27, 2012

Notes on Tozer (January 23)

"It is altogether doubtful whether any man can be saved who comes to Christ for His help but with no intention of obeying Him, for Christ's saviourhood is forever united to His lordship."  --A.W. Tozer
from Renewed Day by Day, "Our Lord the Object of Faith for Salvation"

This essentially sums up what I got from this entry.  Jesus saves because He is Lord.  it is presumptuous, entitlement-minded ridiculence to ask for His help without intending to obey Him.  Not that our service to Him earns His help; but that faithful and faith-filled expectation of salvation must come from the recognition that He is Lord.  Not, "He will save me because I deserve it."  That seems to be the only attitude that would hinder an absolute unity in our mental concept of His Lordship and Saviorhood.  But, He will save me because He is able.  Why?  Because He is Lord.  My proper response is servitude, surrender; adoring, passionate obedience.  He is Lord, therefore He is able to save.  He is Lord, therefore He is to be obeyed (i.e. worthy of complete obedience and love).  Then, He is my Lord, therefore He will save me.  He is my Lord, therefore I will obey and worship Him.  These are two effects that come from the same cause; two responses both springing from the realization of who He is.  God's very nature is sufficient cause for both, such that if one is true the other is also.  If Jesus is Lord, He saves.  If Jesus saves me, He must be Lord.  He owes me nothing, and I do not deserve any salvation or mercy from Him.  But because He is Lord, the righteous Judge, the Lamb of God, the Almighty, He can choose to have mercy on me and save me -- but that is all His doing, His will, His grace, out of His Sovereignty.  So if I ask for and expect His help, I must do so recognizing who He is -- not, as Tozer pointed out, that we must (or can) know all of who God is.  But the expectation of salvation and the intention to obey ought to come from the same place.

No comments:

Post a Comment