Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Hosea

"Sow for yourselves righteousness, reap the fruit of unfailing love, and break up your unplowed ground; for it is time to seek the LORD, until he comes and showers righteousness on you."
Hosea 10:12
Hosea is so poetic.  I like the words, the sound of righteous judgements showing God is just and the declarations of loving compassion and mercy.  I almost wish there was more about Gomer, but perhaps what is told about her is just to show how God made Hosea understand His love for unfaithful Israel.  I wonder if she did run away multiple times, if each time he brought her back, torn by her betrayal or lovingly able to forgive, was when the word of the LORD came to him.
Here I am seeing again, what God gives us is deeper in meaning than I might first understand.  Hosea's life, his unfaithful wife, his morbidly named children, were a living illustration to Israel.  But it must also have been for Hosea to understand and feel what God wanted to say; so that, from experience, he could express it well.  I think the prophet was invited to empathize with God.  Which means he must have loved his wife very much.  Which means that these words given by God were also written out of the prophet's own anguish, yearning, anger, and love.  He must have been a faithful man to be entrusted with this.  I like Hosea.  I admire his faithfulness, his ability to convey the words God gave him, his courage and strength in empathizing with the LORD, if I may say that.
God, thank You for Hosea.

No comments:

Post a Comment